Thursday, November 23, 2006

Medieval Coolness

I'm a satisfied guy. I got received my copy of Medieval 2 in the mail. Yeah so it was released about a month ago, etc. Spare me all that. Do you know how hard it is to actually get something english speaking in Germany? Hell, try working with a German version of Windows. And no, you can't switch the language options from German, despite what others might say, I've tried it with a full plethora of advice and still no go.

Now to the fun part, if blood and gore is your thing. Medieval 2 is based on Rome Total War so fans of that will recognize the main map - Europe - almost immediately. Most of everything works like RTW but there are some little tweaks here and there such as the addition of merchants, and the religious aspect of the game where factions have a say over who gets to be the pope.

I tested it out, and the tutorial starts you off as William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings. Pretty normal stuff, not too hard. Harold getting beaned was pretty funny though since nothing seemed to have hit him. I guess heatstroke or something got to him. Anyhow, once done, you can start the main campaign almost fully equipped. As usual, I picked the - what else? - English since I love using Longbows. Nothing like just watching a row of cavalry charging only to get mown down by Longbowmen. Their range is really scary. A few units of those and your castle is almost secure. As long as their arrows don't run out, which is the only downside. But I've always thought it dumb that the besieged side is out of arrows so quickly considering they've got a huge citadel and therefore huge stores with it.

Anyhow, I'm back to Medieval 2 now, and gonna whup me some more French - what else? - ass. Oh, another cute fact, when you click on the units of various nationalities, they speak in cute accents and sometimes, they do have some pretty funny quips as well. This is a good good buy for all you strategy buffs out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home