Sunday, August 20, 2006

The long drive back

Just got back from Oxford.

Flight - Was delayed. Not unexpected given recent events last week in London.

Managed to get literally the last Subway sandwich.




Passed by this poster afterwards and had to take a picture of it. I felt kinda bad for the people after me in the queue, but decided it was Subway's fault for not preparing enough bread.


We took a 90 minute-ish drive from London Gatwick to Oxford and back after I got my answers.

Drive to Oxford - Good. No cars when it's 1am in the morning. No speed limits. Need I say more?

Accommodation - Marlborough House Hotel is supposed to be 4 diamonds but I suggest that the staff take a course in basic english for starters. For the 90 GBP per night I paid there, I expected a lot more, but was sadly let down. I don't know how come people can put good reviews on their site.

First off, when you put a "Don't Disturb" sign on your door, it means DON'T DISTURB. So when someone knocks on the door and asks to come in two times in 30 minutes, you begin to wonder - Is he blind and illiterate? Maybe and most probably both.

Next, there's a sign that states "We test our fire alarms daily at 10am" which is not mentioned on their webpage. So much for some late morning sleeping. Then after the test, the manager personally goes to every room and asks to see the fire alarm. I'm beginning to think that the "Don't Disturb" is becoming a magnet for the opposite.

We take breakfast in the rooms, so it's great if you want to lounge around in your undies. But here's the kicker, we have windows in ours that face the street. Every Saturday morning, maybe every morning (never stayed more than a saturday and sunday so I don't know), a guy with a ladder comes to clean the windows. During the time you're having breakfast. Looking into your hotel room when you're eating. In your undies. Someone give me a shotgun.

Obviously this establishment is trying its best to attract "non-repeat visitors" which forms the basis of all business.

Now while there are nice things in the hotel, like a microwave - which we used for some much-missed Sainsbury's food, and some complimentary milk, orange juice, cereal, etc. It just doesn't outweight the plain bad.

In short, I'm never going to stay at that place ever again. And I think, neither should anyone if you've read this. You've been warned.

Film School open house - It was very well done, in my opinion. Good opening introduction, a couple of student screenings and a personal question and answer session. The people there were friendly and patient and answered everyone's questions till they were satisfied with the responses. Thumbs up.

Most important was the beginning when they announced that it's not hard to make film. Anyone could do it. Huge sigh of relief from me because I was always scared that I could not make a half-decent film. The school is relocating to London (huzzah!) which is great.

Now to count the costs and plan how to pay them off. Time to dust off the old maths books.

Oxford the town - Bad traffic system, lack of parking facilities and horrible british town planning. I seriously think all british towns and cities should have a public planning overhaul. They are seriously antiquated and can't compare to some other cities around the world. I don't think it's a crime to improve key facilities and access points. History is good. Keeping and conserving it is good. Letting it block further progress on the other hand, is stupid.

On the plus side, the weather was great. Lots of sunshine, and good food.

Dinner :D


Dessert. The pear cake was great!


Missed proper "british" bread as wifey calls them. Yumm.


Managed to catch "Miami Vice" in the ODEON. Will write my review of it later. Good film.

Drive back to Gatwick - Was pretty alright, but had heavier traffic what with being in the afternoon.

Flight back - I'll just say, prepare to be checked short of a strip search. Long queues, checks, and delays all round.

Home - Wifey is now rediscovering why she is so scared of spiders. They've set up shop in almost every corner in the flat and she's running after them with the vacuum cleaner. Ah, home sweet home.

Now where's my dinner?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home