Monday, August 21, 2006

Movie Review - Miami Vice

Miami Vice. If you've been watching TV in the 1980s you most probably would have grown up with this series. I remember watching the original when I was just a kid. Didn't remember too much except for the music. It was usually slotted in just after dinnertime, around the 8 - 9 pm slot.

I found the movie darker. From the beginning, it hits you hard, the action, people, tenseness, movement and feel. No complaints about the music. It was good. There's a certain purpose in everyone's action in the movie. Every move is done for a reason. However, the scenes seem to jump a little sporadically sometimes as the movie progresses. I recall a night scene, then jumping to Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx in a car in bright daylight. Quite jarring. I'm not sure if it was intentional but on hindsight, it seems to fit into the mish-mash atmosphere of the picture.

Detectives posing as undercover drug couriers with conflicting thoughts in their heads and hearts, captured onto the jarring contrasts in the film. This doesn't stop in the movie, and it got me a little upset while watching it because I was expecting a smooth flow of events. Note to self - Watch without expectations next time. It always makes a movie better. Except for a few exclusive stinkers that are out there.

Love is a theme used well here. Is it love, lust or a little of both? Between the subplots weaving around in the background you get the two detectives asking each other, as if to reaffirm that they were still on the same side. Reassuring on one side, frightening on the other. Can you really trust your partner? With all the wealth around for the taking, will that trust hold? It's interesting to see wealth and love/lust in the mix between Farrell and Gong Li. She could tempt him, he could tempt her. Interesting switching of personas of all involved. In my opinion, complicated characters are good, because they keep the audience guessing of their next move. The only hang up I had was her english. I understand that it wasn't perfect nor do I expect that. It's just sad when her spanish sounds better than her english. One wonders. ^^

What is interesting is the aforementioned contrasts in the film combined together with the love relationships in the movie. Everyone is playing undercover to someone, somehow. You are real, then false, then real.

Everything works towards the end, where the shooting scene, is one of the best I've ever seen. It's very tight, and tense. Yet there's a liberal amount of shooting to heighten the tension. At one point, I found myself anxious for the characters. Will they die, won't they die, etc. Of course the main characters, we know their ends. It was the support cast I found myself worrying about. People who stuck to the main characters out of loyalty. Would they be rewarded with a bullet? Amazing stuff to only realize that the actors, actresses and ultimately the film, have gotten to you. I believe Michael Mann has done yet another masterpiece.

Moo-Meter : 8.5/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home