Friday, September 22, 2006

Night Lights

I finally did it. I sent my application to the film school along with the required deposit. Now I'm crossing my fingers that the application will be approved so I can continue with the rest of the documentation. Namely, visa application and looking for accommodation.

By clicking that "submit" button I'm actually hitting the point of no return. I'm now strapped onto a one-way rocket onto a journey where I have no idea on how the ending will be like. Obviously I want a happiest of the happy endings, much like those games where a combination of decisions can allow you one of myriad endings, ala Resident Evil.

Feeling some trepidation of the future, I found this verse from this website.

'I lift my eyes up to the hills-
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
the Maker of Heaven and Earth'

He will not let your foot slip-
he who watches over you will not slumber
Indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep
Psalm 121: 1-2

It's beautiful if you can close your eyes and imagine the scene. It is nighttime many thousands of years ago, the people are going to sleep in the cities, and we find the psalmist outside most probably on a slope before the mountains and the hills. There's no need to strain your ears to hear the chirping of the crickets, and the sounds of the wildlife among the foilage. He seems troubled and then looks around and finally upwards and declares his statement of faith among the star-studded night sky.

I'm a romantic at heart and I love the night more than the day. This scene is beautiful because despite all his troubles, the psalmist looks up and realizes that it is nothing compared to the majesty surrounding him. If God can make something beautiful out of the ashes then the problem cannot consume him.

I used to spend time dreaming under the night sky in the UK even though it was cold. I would appreciate the beauty of it, despite the city lights. But during the last few years, the dreams have stopped. The hope has been exhausted. The light gone. But somehow, despite the uncertainty that this path has to offer me, a spark appears inside me, to allow myself to dare and believe that I can start dreaming again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home