Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Kitchen Misadventures

Today, I decided to cook "Century Egg Porridge" for dinner. It sounded good. It's a dish I love from home, and it's not hard to cook. All one needs are the basic ingredients. Cut ginger, some century eggs - personal preference here, spring onion, fried onion crisps, shredded chicken, cooked rice and the usual conditives.

I figured I still had some century eggs left over from the last time, so there was no need to pop by the Asia Shop on the way back from work. Big mistake on my part because I misunderstood the term century eggs. I thought they would be able to last a long time. But since the last time I ate the dish was like 2 years ago, the eggs had shrivelled up inside and turned into hard lumps of ugly goo. The fact that there's no pic here speaks of my reluctance to even take a pic of it. It's that bad.

So, century egg porridge with no century eggs. It's like taking a beef steak without the beef. And plain porridge didn't seem appetizing to me. Nopes. All that expectation for nothing got me pretty depressed. Wifey was nice enough to want to cook something for me but I thought to try something else. So I improvised and chucked some fishballs - this time without the soup - and prayed for the best. The end result? I'm a very full and contented person. I'd take a pic of the finished product but I was so hungry having not eaten for 9 hours that I decided that food was more important today. ^^

On a side note, never EVER put durians in your fridge. As much as I love to eat the fruit, the smell just overpowered me. I've taken them out a few hours ago but the smell still remains there. Who needs chemical warfare when you got durian? Also, never buy them frozen because after you can't see the condition of the pulp through the packaging and after it defrosts, it's either good or bad. In my case, bad. :(

I'm pretty sure the mace came about when some enterprising weaponsmiths saw the durian. Not much imagination needed there. Those damn fruits can inflict some serious pain. As quoted from Wikipedia "A durian falling on a person's head can cause serious injuries or death because it is heavy and armed with sharp thorns, and may fall from a significant height, so wearing a hardhat is recommended when collecting the fruit."

European tourists visiting Singapore or South East Asia are encouraged to try this fruit out. I guarantee an unforgettable experience.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home