Saturday, December 30, 2006

Christmas 2006

Christmas in Europe is different from Christmas in asia. In asia, it's probably just a holiday away from work, and the occasional "christmas" sale in the shops. Given that christmas in Singapore is about as cold as an eskimo wearing his full fur coat in an oven heated to 200 deg celsius. No, Christmas in Europe is equal to the Chinese New Year of asia. People go home early, they get their presents, they take the chance to meet up with their family. In other words, companies make a killing during christmas time hawking all their wares at overpriced rates. After all, people have to buy because it's Christmas, and Christmas often demands that you give your loved ones a gift.

Of course to celebrate Christmas properly, you need a christmas tree! No, those plastic ones at home won't work here. Selecting the tree wasn't so hard as we had a friend who sold them nearby and she kept a nice one for us at a decent price too. It was a good thing the car just managed to fit it in, otherwise it would have meant driving around zero deg for 20 minutes.


"Der Kleine Blauer" as we call our car

Afterwards, the tree would require trimming, and decorating, and finally, the gifts are placed below to create the scene here. Dimmed lights and candles are a must, along with some nice Christmassy music from a tape deck that's repeated once it runs out.

You even get a complimentary foot in the picture

Me looking like a "typical" Asian courtesy of the bread basket

I got some pretty nice gifts that day, but I think the two that stood out most were a calendar wifey made for me for the time I would be in London - she made pictures of herself and pasted them on a calendar so I would always see her there, and her sis gave me this cow I called Kuhgel - pronounced Kuh-girl. In german kügel means a round ball, and since this cow was a ball, it wasn't hard. The pun that all cows are female didn't give me any chance but to name her that.

Is she round or what?

I don't really know what to write to spice this narrative up but that's christmas for me in Europe almost every year. In retrospect, I should have taken more pictures of the food but oh well, there's always next year. I hope everyone had a good christmas and a great new year 2007!!!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home