Friday, October 20, 2006

Macbook Pro Prices = Daylight Robbery

I've been really busy the last couple of days running about town looking for a Macbook Pro for Film school. It's amazing how quickly my objectives and supposed target can change in a matter of days. At first I thought I would need a PC since PCs seem to be easier to use - this coming from a guy who's never touched a MAC - and secondly, a PC is cheaper than a MAC. But conversions from one format to another and back would give me problems, and as Vincent nicely pointed out and demonstrated on his brand new Macbook Pro, the MAC OS ain't so bad.

So I decided in favour of the Macbook Pro. I went hunting for the price, and lo and behold, it costs a hefty 4300 Sing dollars, double the price of a standard PC notebook. *Gulp* After discussing the issue a little more with my old classmate Jonathan, who's married to another of my classmates - yes, I know what you're all thinking, the world is small and just *how* many classmates do you have? - I realized that the software application would have to be bought seperately and would take up a hefty 43 Gigs of space. Note that I haven't mentioned that the Final Cut Studio would cost me 2500 Sing dollars and the update 1250 Sing dollars on top of the 4300 SGD macbook pro. This comes with an additional 1 GB ram update for smooth visual on the fly processing for another 1000 SGD and external hard drive for I don't want to know how much. If you readers think I'm whining about the price, you're right, I am. How is a student supposed to afford all this you ask? My answer is that either you're loaded, your parents are loaded, you just robbed a bank, or you're great at shoplifting such that no one even saw you conveniently "taking" the aforementioned equipment. Student discount is set at 6% here. Yucks. Bleah.....

Thus, it comes to need and want. I need a notebook, but not that urgently. I've no idea what sort of editing I'll do next year and how much of the final cut studio I'll actually learn. I want a notebook if only to make sure I save myself the 1200 SGD next year if I do buy it in the UK but on hindsight, even if I bought that notebook now and save the 1200 SGD, if I don't really get to use the software after graduation, I'll be much poorer. So I guess the notebook gets to live another day in the shop. Strangely enough, I feel less burdened by the decision to buy or not to buy, and therefore happier. So I went out and got wifey 2 pairs of summer shoes and a 1 pair of boots out of genuine leather from Japan for just 33 Euros. Beat that! Hrhrhr. I'll link a pics of the shoes here later after I've got some beauty sleep and worked my way through my nonya dumplings.

Ciao for now..... :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home